You are finally taking a day trip to Capri, but don’t really know what to do once you get there. Here are Five Things to Do In Capri to help you plan your day.
1. Visit the Blue Grotto. All ferries come into and leave out of the Marina Grande. After departing the ferry, you will see the boats for the Blue Grotto. Or a faster way to avoid the long lines when arriving by boat is to take the local bus to the Blue Grotto and walk down the stairs. The bus is located at the Marina Grande harbor. Buy your ticket and look for the bus queue for the Blue Grotto. Upon arriving, make your way down the stairs to the boarding platform. You will see row boats coming up to the stairs to transport people to the cave. The queue line for the people coming in by boat are different than for the people who arrived by bus. The weather has to be perfect to enter the cave. The row boats go through a small entrance, where you spend a couple of minutes inside.
Visiting by boat where you transfer to a smaller boat to go into the Blue Grotto.
If you arrive by bus, you will walk down the steps to get in line to take a boat into the Blue Grotto. There were not many people in line on the steps compared to all the people waiting in the boats. Remember they can only take a couple of people in at a time (see picture below). The people waiting in the boats will be there for awhile. (There were more boats there that day than what I captured in this picture.)
2. Visit Mount Solaro. Upon arriving in Capri, take the local bus to Anacapri and take the chairlift to the top where you get a spectacular 360 degree view of Capri. There is a dining facility with restrooms at the top.
3. Explore Anacapri where you will find plenty of cafes and shops to spend time browsing. Purchase a pair of handmade sandals to take home with you. They make them while you wait. I bought a pair the first time I went to Capri and every time I wear them it reminds me of my vacation in Capri.
4. Hike the Phoenician Steps – Scala Fenicia from Anacapri to Marina Grande. Hiking the 900+ steps will give you some of the best views of the bay of Naples and Marina Grande. The steps are uneven and steep in places, but it’s a nice alterative to the cramped bus. Make sure you take water for the hike.
5. Explore Capri. There are several ways to reach Capri from the Marina Grande. You can catch the bus, take a taxi, take the funicular or walk up the hill.
When you reach the center of Capri, you will find plenty of cafes and boutiques to explore. Spend time walking up and down the streets and window shop.
Capture the beautiful sunsets on Capri.
If you are like me, once you come to Capri, you will want to return.